The town planning activities of the corporation area is managed by the officials from the central and zonal offices. The Central office is situated at the main corporation office in the city and the zonal offices are situated at Nemom, Thiruvallam, Ulloor, Kadakampally, Attipra, Vattiyoorkavu, Kudappanakkunnu, Sreekaryam, Kazhakuttom and Vizhinjam with 100 wards.
The Town planning Officer is the officer in charge of the total activities of the office and assisted by two Assistant Town Planning Officers. The Assistant Town Planning Officers from the central office manage the activities of the city in a shared manner. The Building Inspectors are doing the field work and report to Assistant Town Planning Officers. There is supporting staff to help the Assistant Town Planning officers and the Building Inspectors. The supporting staff includes superintendent and the clerks.
There is a Town Planning Committee which is headed by a chairman who is an elected member with 9 Members in this Committee. The Town Planning Committee report to the Council.
Under the efficient leadership of W/Mayor, The Town Planning Department of Thiruvananthapuram Corporation provides the following services to the public.
1. Issue of one day building permit for single occupancy residential buildings.
2. Issue of Building Construction permit according to KMBR 1999.
3. Issue of construction permit for compound wall, well and Telecom towers.
4. Regularisation of constructions done according to KMBR without permit.
5. Issue of occupancy certificate to the completed construction.
6. Renewal of building permits.
7. Issue of permits for Arches and Boards.
8. Prevention of encroachments and unauthorised constructions.
9. Granting permission to organise functions at Gandhi Park as per the fee structure.